Tuesday, September 3, 2013

My sweetheart Shane is nearly 2 months old! Today marks 7 weeks of his precious life. I have already missed posting a 1 month update. Although I've had every intention of posting, and have even sat down multiple times to draft something, I just cannot put my feelings into words. Words do not do it justice. So I've let day after day slip by and here I am, almost 2 months later. I guess I should just give it a shot....

The most precious blessing I have received thus far in my life is the gift of motherhood. The joy and love I feel is inexplicable. It's the strangest, hardest, yet most humbling experience knowing that my every minute is accounted for. Little Shane depends on me for.... just about everything. And the strangest thing about it is how strong a bond can be with someone who cannot talk, laugh, or even smile. The kid just has my whole heart. I'm grateful every day for this little one who has changed my life forever.
Today was the first day I got him to intentionally smile at me. He's smiled at me plenty of times before but I'm pretty sure it was just reflexes. But today I was making my usual obnoxious faces while using my equally obnoxious voice and it finally worked! I thought maybe he smiled on accident so I tried it again and he smiled again! My cheeks are sore from smiling so much today, but it's worth it because my little guy smiled at his mama and it made me happy. 

Some other fun facts: 
 - He LOVES Ceiling fans. They're his favorite. They don't even have to be spinning. He will stare and stare at them. Am I a bad mom if I lay him on the floor and tell him to look at the fan while I do something? Because that's what I do. But he likes it!

-He also loves this picture of Christ surrounded by children that we have hanging in our family room. He'll stare at it and will crane his neck to see it.  He's liked that picture since the day we brought him home from the hospital. It's probably because of the bright colors, but I like to think it's because he recognizes Christ. Sometimes it makes me sad because I wonder if he misses his life in heaven... and maybe if he resents me a little for bringing him into this world. And then I feel bad for him. But then I remember it is his time to be here, and Heavenly Father has a plan for him, and I'm happy that if he has to be here at all that at least he's here with me!

-He absolutely loves baths. He could live in the bath all day long if I let him. Sometimes I give him multiple baths a day, just because I like how much he likes it. He gets so calm and relaxed. Tooo relaxed. There have been a few times that I've had to take him out of the bath, dump out the water, and start over because he's gone to the bathroom in it. And then as soon as I put him back in he goes again. One bath time that happened 3 times! Kind of frustrating, but worth it because he loves it so much.

-He loves to be held looking over your shoulder while getting his bum or back patted. It's almost a guarantee to getting him to stop crying. Almost. Not always, but almost.

-He really doesn't cry that much. He's pretty much an angel baby. He had a period of 4-5 days last week that were really hard where he wailed pretty much non-stop all day, but I think he was going through a growth spurt or something, because thankfully we seem to be over that. (crossing my fingers).

-He can track things with his eyes really well. He'll watch me move around the room, or will track something as I shake it above his head. He also likes to look at the airplane mobile I hung above his changing table. 

- Sometimes he snores in his sleep. It's the best. 

-He doesn't like to be swaddled completely. He only likes to be swaddled if his arms are out of the blanket. He's just like me and hates to feel trapped/ constricted and wants to be free.

-He can't grab anything yet.... except for my hair. Now I know why moms chop their hair off. I'm going to be bald before I know it if I don't get my hair cut soon!

He didn't have a one month appt, but he did have a 3 week appt (4 weeks ago). His stats then were:
Wt: 9 lb 7 oz (66%)
Ht:  90%
Head circumference: 91%



 



I didn't know that I could share my heart with two different people, but my goodness do these boys have my heart.  I love them both so much. They are my whole world, and I am so blessed.



1 comment:

  1. So sweet. I totally know what you mean about it being impossible to put into words. I always try and then it just doesn't even come close..but all other moms know exactly how you feel! He's such a cutie, sad we missed his smiles by a day but so excited for you! It just gets better and better!

    ReplyDelete