Thursday, June 7, 2012

A Fresh Coat of Paint


So clearly, painting was the first job on our to-do list. Luke, being the kind-hearted, color- blind boy that he is let me pick the paint color all by myself. I opted for a creamy neutral and decided to carry it throughout the main areas of the house. 

Do you know how hard picking a cream color is? You'd think it would be the easiest thing to find because 
1) everyone likes cream paint 
2) there are a gazillion options to choose from, so you'd think you could just pick one and it would look great. 

Wrong-o! It was so difficult. It took me multiple sample cans and many trips to Lowe's to select the perfect color.  The main problem was we have a mixture of regular and fluorescent lights in our kitchen, and many of the paints looked fine when the fluorescents were off but as soon as I turned them on the paint looked pink. Eventually I found the perfect color that looks good under all types of light. I love it!


 Remember that purple/ pink/ green room? This is its beautiful, fresh makeover.

The sea shell room was the problem child.  I was able to peel up the stupid straw wall paper pretty easily but there was a paper layer underneath it that would not come off the wall.  Although I was basically spent after scraping the walls for an entire day, I did think it was cute to find this message on the wall.



I haven't taken a picture of the sea shell room post- paint makeover but it looks much better. I finally gave up on scraping the paper layer off the walls. We will cover up that section with white bead board around the room.

This is the Family Room after being painted, and that is our new baseboard! This was before we actually stapled the baseboard to the wall. I just laid it there to see how it would look compared to the old baseboard on the other wall. We put the baseboard up after taking up the carpet and laying the hard wood floors, which I will post pics of later. 




We also put up crown molding! Luke impresses me each and every day with the skills that he has. He had never done crown molding before, but because he is a genius he figured it out in no time. His boss let us borrow his air compressor and nail gun for this project.  Thanks, Tom!


Here's the family room with a fresh coat of paint and the crown molding. Excuse the mess.... 


And here's the kitchen with the crown molding and paint.

1 comment:

  1. It really is the hardest thing ever to pick out a nice neutral color. In the end, it really comes down to if you want it to be a little pink-ish, yellow-ish or gray-ish!! I like the color you picked out though, good job! :)

    ReplyDelete