Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Crazy Colors!


The first step to our home transformation was painting. Once you see the paint color they chose you will understand why this house scared us away the first time we walked through. I do wonder what the previous home-owners were thinking. Clearly they had a different style than Luke and I do. So let me take you on a tour of our house so you can experience the awesome paint colors we had to live with before I painted my life away and turned the walls from headache into refreshing. 

When looking at this picture, the front door is on the right. This room and an identical room across from it are the first two rooms upon entering the house.




After passing those first two front rooms is the kitchen and then the family room. These rooms were a bright yellow and this weird brown. The kitchen had paintings of grapes all over. It was gross.  



 

  



 
This is the upstairs guest bathroom. Crazy colors, huh?! I'll get to painting it someday. But this bathroom is a really decent size. I love how roomy it is. And it has a very good-sized linen closet as well as good counter/ cabinet space.


 Bedroom #1, which I call the sea shell room because it had sea shell stickers plastered all over the walls, as well as this raffia/ straw wall paper glued onto the bottom half of the wall. This room was a nightmare to paint over.  I scrubbed and scraped for a whole day trying to get the stickers and wall paper off. 








 Bedroom #2: This over the top purple/ green/pink room. 



Here's the purple room in the middle of the painting process. Each room took 2 coats of paint to cover up all the craziness!

 This is the Master bedroom, one of the somewhat more mild of the rooms. We have not painted the master yet..... and we may not get to it for a while. It's one of our last priorities among all the other projects we have going on. But we'll get to it some day. I'm thinking gray, white, and yellow....

And that wraps up the tour of the rooms pre-paint. The family room, kitchen, stairwell, upstairs hallway and the 2 guest bedrooms have been painted. I'm planning to wallpaper or stencil the downstairs bathroom. The upstairs bathroom I haven't decided what to do with yet but I think I've stepped foot it in 4 times total so I'm not feeling too rushed to start it anytime soon. I don't think I'm going to touch the laundry room, because for whatever reason that's the only room the previous owners painted a sane color. And the front living and dining room I have big exciting plans for. Luke is going to build me a built-in bookcase and window seat which I'm so excited for, and I plan on placing wainscoting along the bottom half. I've had my eye on some very pretty furniture and someday those two rooms are going to be looking mighty fine. But for now, we're trying to pace ourselves. I'm excited to post our progress thus far. Already within 2 months of living here, this house has undertaken some incredible changes!

2 comments:

  1. What a cute home!! You're doing such a great job painting. It's so fun to have the immediate satisfaction when you paint, but it can be soooo tedious. Way to go! And I LOVE that you have a white picket fence, what!? So so cute. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting!! I hope you post pictures of the bookcase, it sounds awesome! Congrats on the home ownership!

    ReplyDelete